|8||oz. whole wheat linguine or other pasta|
|2||tbsp. extra virgin olive oil|
|6||cloves of garlic, crushed|
|1/2||tsp. crushed chile pepper|
|juice only from a ~14 oz. can of chopped or whole baby clams (reserve clams for later)|
|1/2||cup dry white wine (for white clam sauce)|
|1||14 oz. can of petite-diced tomatoes (for red clam sauce)|
|1||tsp. onion powder|
|1||tbsp. dried basil|
|1||tsp. dried oregano|
|1/2||tsp. white pepper|
|Reserved chopped or baby clams|
|Grated Parmesan or Parmesan-Romano Cheese to taste|
- Start the pasta water to heating.
- In a large skillet, over low heat, add olive oil, garlic, and crushed chile pepper. Warm only until the oil starts to bubble, then quickly add the wine or tomatoes and the clam juice. Add onion powder, basil, and oregano. and bring to a simmer.
- Start the pasta cooking in its boiling water.
- When the pasta is nearly done, add the reserved clams to the sauce mixture to just warm them. Drain the pasta, and immediately pour the sauce over the pasta and serve with cheese.
- Option: If desired, add a handful of frozen or fresh (shelled and de-veined) shrimp to the sauce when you put the pasta in to cook.
(Recipe included for neighbors Josh & Shani Cohen.)