|1/2||cup brown rice, e.g., brown basmati|
|1 1/3||cup chicken broth|
|1/2||lb. hot sausage (Italian''s good)|
|2||tsp. extra virgin olive oil|
|1||medium onion, peeled and diced|
|1||medium green pepper, with core, seeds, and ribs removed, diced|
|1||14 oz. can petite-diced tomatoes with juice|
|1||14 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed|
|1/2||tsp. dried thyme leaves|
|3/4||tsp. dried oregano leaves|
|1/2||tsp. crushed chile pepper (or to taste)|
|1/2||tsp. fresh ground black pepper|
- Bring chicken broth to a boil, add rice, and turn heat to simmer. Cook until all liquid is absorbed.
- Cut sausage into bite-sized pieces and add with olive oil to a medium-sized saucepan on medium heat
- When sausage has browned, add onion and green pepper, and saute until the onion is translucent.
- Add tomatoes and their juice, kidney beans, rice, and remaining ingredients to the saucepan.
- Simmer for 45 minutes or so, stirring occasionally, and enjoy.