|1/2||lb. Italian sausage, sliced|
|1||large onion, chopped|
|1||large potato, peeled and diced
cup brown rice
|1||cup water (2 1/2 cups if using rice)|
|1||15-oz. can cream-style corn|
|1||9-oz. package frozen kernels of corn (e.g., Green Giant Niblets Brand)|
|1||4-oz can chopped green chiles, drained|
|1||2-oz. jar chopped pimientos, drained|
|1 1/2||c. milk (whole good, half & half better)|
|Salt & pepper to taste|
- Cook bacon on a moderate-sized pot until crisp. Remove bacon and drain. Crumble bacon and reserve. Discard all but one tbsp. grease from the pot.
- Add sausage and onion to pot and cook until sausage is browned and onion is soft (~10 minutes)
- Stir in potato or rice and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until potato or rice is cooked.
- Add canned and frozen corn, chiles, and pimientos. Simmer for about ten minutes, until frozen corn is cooked
- Add milk or half & half, and heat to steaming. Do not boil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
- Garnish individual services with bacon
Makes about four servings.