|1||Lb. hot Italian sausage|
|1||Large onion, diced|
|2||Large green peppers, seeded and diced|
|8||Oz. fresh mushrooms (or canned equivalent)|
|1||15-oz. can petite diced tomatoes|
|8||Oz. whole wheat macaroni (e.g., Hodgson Farms), cooked|
|1/3||Cup fresh basil, coarsly chopped|
|1||Tbsp. dried oregano|
|2||Tsp. fennel seeds, crushed|
|1/2||Tsp freshly ground black pepper|
|2||Cups grated cheddar cheese|
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sauté sausage until done. Transfer to a large mixing bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Discard all but 2 tbsp. of the oil rendered by the sausage.
- Sauté onion and peppers in sausage fat until soft. Transfer to same mixing bowl.
- Sauté mushrooms in same pan until soft. Transfer to mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients except cheese and mix well.
- Transfer mixture to an oven-proof baking pan.
- Top with cheese and heat the oven until the cheese is melted, about 30 minutes.
- Original Recipe by Carol George, invented to feed her hungry kids.
- Carol uses 2 lb. of sausage. I pared that to one to reduce fat.
- The basil and fennel seeds are my additions.
This recipe makes a LOT! I got five ample servings from it. Adding another pound of sausage would probably bring the serving count to eight.